Thursday, July 21, 2011

Little Miss Piggy

About 2 weeks ago, I contracted poison ivy for the first time. Yep... on top of the RSD. I had rashes on my face, neck, and both arms and legs. Fun stuff- I'm sure I was miserable to be around for the first couple of days. The doctor gave me a steroid shot and steroids to take for a week and since then my skin has calmed down tremendously. I still have rashes which are somewhat raised and occasionally itch but the worst is over.
Now since this whole debacle started, I have been ravenously hungry due to the steroids. I am usually pretty diligent about what I eat but in the last couple of weeks, I have thrown all caution or hesitation to the wind! For example, eating a baked potato with all the trimmings at 3am and then continuing to rummage through the fridge eating pineapple AND then moving on to the pantry where I made myself a nutella sandwich before going back to bed. Absolutely disgusting. 
My reason for bringing this up is that I need to get back on track and be more careful about what I eat. Not so much for weight reasons but for pain reasons. In fact, most people don't realize that what they eat has a serious bearing on how they feel. Just one example is eating sugar of any kind increases pain and inflammation throughout the body even in a healthy person. Something to keep in mind is that many foods that we don't necessarily categorize as 'sugar' may turn into sugar once our bodies start metabolizing it. Potatoes are good examples of foods that get converted into sugar as it is digested. 
Another easy way to remember to eat healthy is "eat the Four F's and avoid the Five C's". The four F's are 1) Fresh Fruit 2) Fresh Vegetables 3) Fish 4) Fowl. The five C's to avoid are cookies, cake, chocolate, cocktails, and candy. Generally, I think a good motto or at least the one that I try to live by is "everything in moderation". There is definitely a time and place for cookies and beer but eating the whole box by yourself should probably be avoided.
So in the spirit of tabula rasa or starting with a clean slate, let's all try to be mindful of what we eat and choose foods that are a little healthier- I'm going to severely limit my sugar intake and stop raiding the fridge in the middle of the night!

No comments:

Post a Comment